Monday 16 April 2012

When in Doubt, Bodyrock.

So workouts lately have been mish to the mash. No structure, not much of a plan and results to match. Don't you hate that? So in an effort to remedy this I took my own advice and planned my weeks training on Sunday. Monday 6km run time trial...check. Monday 1km swim....well, I got 100m out before I got so seasick and disoriented I had to get out of the water and hold the railings all the way back inside. People asked me if I was injured because I looked like such a moron. Little did they know it was only my ego that was injured. None the less I consider the swim a check also. Any time you get into the water is a victory in my book.

Then we get to Tuesday. 40km ride planned. And it would have happened, if not for The Voice. You see I am shockingly and embarrassingly hooked on it and missed it last night so watched the rest of it this morning and before I knew it I didn't have enough time to get my ride done. So what does one do when one misses a nice long planned workout. Well, you BODYROCK  of course. I love this stuff. Its hardcore, only takes 20 minutes max, plus its the only time its ever acceptable to listen to 50 cent, Eminem and the honorable Dr Dre. It kicked my ass and I loved it.

So lesson for today is that even though sometimes it doesn't go to plan, whether that be your own fault or circumstances beyond your control, just make something happen. Get. It. Done. You won't ever regret it.



On a completely un-related note I managed to make uh-mazing muffins on the weekend. This is the kind of magic that happens when you wake up at 5am on a Sunday raring to go when its supposed to be a rest day and the gym doesn't even open for 2hrs. I wanted these muffins to taste 'normal'. That meant fighting all my natural urges to add protein powder and only use fruit to sweeten them. The plan was to feed them to the normal folk in my family who aren't quite as keen to forgo texture in the knowledge that their blood sugars would thank them for it. Go figure.

So I researched a basic muffin recipe and Emma-fied it. That meant using a healthy flour, nixing the cane sugar for a low GI raw alternative, adding fruit and nuts for extra nutrients and of course making it dairy free. As you get more confident with baking and have a bit of trial and error, you will see how easy this is.


The original recipe went something like this;

2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
90g butter, melted

My lovely little recipe went something (exactly) like this;

Blueberry, Banana and Seed Muffins


Serves 12

2 1/2c Wholemeal spelt flour
4t Baking powder
1/4c Agave
1c Rice milk
1 Egg
45g Coconut oil
2 Bananas mashed
1c Frozen blueberries
1t Organic vanilla essence
1/2c Pumpkin seeds

Mix the flour and baking powder until combined. In another bowl combine the agave, milk, egg, coconut oil, bananas and vanilla essence. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well. Gently add the blueberries and pumpkin seeds. Spoon mixture evenly between a 12 muffin tin and place in the oven at 180degrees for 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool on race and store in airtight container.



So as you can see, they are really very easy and the banana, blueberries and pumpkin seeds could be swapped for anything. Try;
 - Tin peach, raspberries & pecans
 - Banana, chopped almonds & cacao nibs
 - Tin pear & walnuts

Happy training...and happy eating too. Here's to sticking to the plan tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment