Monday 9 April 2012

New Bike & Re-Worked Sandwiches

Easter can be a dangerous time of year. Lets be honest. Ladies like to shop. There are some exceptions, but alas, I am not one of them. Whilst I do love to buck a trend I must confess that I am absolutely, sterotypically, mad about shopping. I am sensible for the most part, which means that if I already have a pair of tan leather boots, then I wont buy another pair until at least a season and a half later. Look at me being all thrifty and what not. What is dangerous, is combining a girl who likes to shop with a girl who loves a good long ride. At nearly $2K a pop for a starting price, new bikes can set one back a little further than a pair of tan boots. And there is so much more opportunity to rationalise needing said new bike. The first being that its really pretty.The second being that, well, I can ride it to work every now and then.And the third ... well, I just want it. Check out my little baby here (its the white and gold one).

I decided not to go with carbon. I am not fast enough, nor do I do enough k's a week to warrant it. When I start clocking over 200km a week on the bike I will reconsider it. I think the switch from a flat bar roadie that isn't fitted to me, to a roadie that is fitted exactly to my specs will make a huge difference alone.

Now don't talk to me about cleets. It is a heated discussion amongst members of my family that I have to wear them and quite frankly, I plan on resisting for as long as I can. So yes, I'm going to buy a brand new bike and get them to put caged pedals on it. So what.

Get ready for an album of 'me and my bike' the day after I get it. It will go something like this...'this is me and my bike at the zoo, and us at brunch, and us just hanging together at the beach'... I know, you can't wait right!

Easter food has been amazing. Delicious fresh salads with a mix of summer and winter vegetables, as its been so unseasonably warm in Melbourne of late, we are all a bit confused as to what we should be eating. One day you are getting out the pumpkin and eggplant and roasting them with your lamb backstraps and the next its all about carrot and currant salads with flaked almonds and grilled fish. This week it warmed up again and I was craving a re-worked sandwich. I find sandwiches pretty boring, but this satay tofu and spinach pita pocket was just what the doctor ordered.

Satay Tofu & Baby Spinach Pita Pocket

Serves 1

2 Squares satay tofu (find it in the fridge section of your supermarket), cut into strips
Handful baby spinach
1/4 Avocado, sliced
1 Mini wholemeal pita bread

Cut the Pita in half and gently pry it open. Place spinach, then avocado, then tofu into pocket gently so that it does not rip. Serve and enjoy.



Packed with vegetarian protein, good fats, alkalising greens and complex carbohydrates, this is a great balanced meal. You could also make a whole pocket and just eat half for a snack and save the other half for later.

Happy training this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment