Monday 13 February 2012

I Like Pina Coladas

What better time to try and incorporate a stiff drink in to your breakfast regime than on a Monday morning? I kid, I kid. But I was looking for a little bit of smoothie-inspiration. You see, I have been eating my Choco-nana Smoothie (see earlier post because, well, it rocks) for breakfast 6 days a week since the beginning of time. I may have taken some liberty there - I think its more like 4 or 5 months.

Enter the Pina Colada smoothie. A delicious mix of pineapple, organic coconut cream, almond milk and pea protein. Now, for ease during the week, I actually pre-made the pineapple and coconut cream in to smoothie cubes and froze them. A small moment of brilliance on my part. It happens every now and then around here. 

I used certified organic coconut cream because sometimes the regular stuff can come from areas of the world that make a brilliant vodka red bull but have less than brilliant food regulations. I bought pre-chopped pineapple only because it was on special. Feel free to buy your own and chop away. If you do buy your own make sure to leave the core in - its a great source of bromelain which is a potent anti-inflammatory and helps with digestion. I used pea protein and almond milk, but as always these can be changed to what ever you prefer.


First I made the smoothie 'cubes'. In the blender I combined the pineapple (about 2 cups chopped) and 120mls of the organic coconut cream. I blended it until it was well combined and then poured in to a silicone muffin tray.



Now I would NEVER in a million years bake with these things, but they are great for freezing stuff. They can be purchased from a thrift store for about $2.

I froze the pineapple mix overnight and in the morning I mixed up my smoothie.


Pina Colada Smoothie

2 Pineapple Cream smoothie cubes
250mls Almond Milk
1 Serve Pea Protein

Blend, blend, blend.


"I like pina coladas ... and the taste of champagne"

No comments:

Post a Comment