Wednesday 1 February 2012

How to Read Nutrition Labels - Part 1 K.I.S.S

Ok. I have had some requests for posting. Apparently, some of you guys are confused, very confused and all in a tizz trying to decipher the mumbo-jumbo that is nutrition labels. So, I thought I would tell you the basic rules I use when choosing my foods.
The great part is that I think you will all be pleasantly surprised by how simple it is. I will give you the basics and the facts, and whilst there are always some exceptions to the rules, just try and remember we are not aiming for perfection here. You could give yourself an ulcer trying to achieve perfection with nutrition. The aim is to be healthy, happy, balanced human beans. Insert smilie face here.

So - because I want to keep it simple and I dont want to bore you, I am breaking this up in to a few sections.

Section 1

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Im going to preface this section by saying that if it doesn't have a nutrition label eg, it is in the fresh fruit and veg section, then the chances are its good for me. Big tick for all foods in the fruit and veg section in moderation. Moderation and balance is key. A little potato in its jacket a few times a week is great if you really love them. A kilo of mashed potato every night for dinner may not be as healthy. Use your noggin - it all makes sense!

So, once I have identified a food that does have a nutrition label, the first section I look at is the ingredients listing. In Australia the ingredients listing on foods should be in order of the largest component of the item to the smallest. So, for example, if sugar is the very first item listed, it means it is the largest component of the food. If sugar is 8th out of 9 ingredients, then there is probably not a huge amount in there.

The second thing I look at is the actual ingredients.
Can I understand what all of the ingredients are? eg. do I know what high fructose corn syrup is or how its made?
Are they in their whole form? eg high fructose corn syrup and plain corn are very different. The more mumbo jumbo in the ingredients listing, the more that has been done to it and remember - we are trying to keep it simple.
Does it list preservatives, additives, colourings etc? eg. I usually identify these by checking for numbers like 'sweetner 951'. If I have to say 'what's that' then I choose to say 'no thanks'. Now before you start asking if aspartame causes cancer or if it is really so bad, just go back to the golden rule. Keep it simple. They dont grow aspartame in the ground and you cant make it in your kitchen so my theory is that its just not a food!

So once I have looked at all of this info I begin to make my choice. If the ingredients are all whole foods and then towards the end it lists 'Acidity Regulator 332' and this is the best option of all the different branded products, then this is what I go with. Let me give you an example - these are the ingredient listings of 2 well known soy milks;

Filtered water, soy protein (3.5%), corn maltodextrin, vegetable oils (sunflower, canola) [contains antioxidant (tocopherols) (contains soy)], cane sugar, minerals (phosphates of calcium, potassium and magnesium), acidity regulator (332), antioxidant (ascorbic acid), vitamins (A, B12, B2, B1), natural flavour.

and the other

Filtered water, whole organic soybeans, tapioca syrup, Jobs Tears (a select type of barley), sea salt, calcium carbonate

Ok - so how did you go?
The second is my pick. Its simpler, has more whole foods and less additives. I think its important to point out that whilst i'm a fan of good nutrition, i'm generally not a fan of adding vitamins and minerals to foods. When vitamins and minerals are added to foods they are often synthetic forms and highly processed. Plus, if you have a great wholefood diet you should get most of the vits and mins you need anyway!

Give it a whirl next time you're in the supermarket and see how you go.


And remember, as always, this is general info and if you want specific information tailored to your needs then you should visit your healthcare professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment