Sunday 6 May 2012

Paleo days 5-7, Weekly Roundup & Paleo Fueling for Endurance

Just when you start to think you are a mildly talented human being, your Mum owns you on a ride. No matter how hard you pedal you really don't make any ground. Your quads burn, oh how they burn. And then you realise, she keeps looking back to make sure you are still there. Because she knows she is kicking your butt. Note to self. Go to more spin classes.

Fortunately eating paleo does not hurt body nor ego nearly as much. As I round out the last 7 days I have to say that I have shocked even myself in a couple of ways.
1. I have not eaten a single piece of bread or chocolate or refined food. I cannot recall a time in the last 5 years when this has happened. Noteworthy.
2. I haven't even been interested in eating chocolate. Beyond noteworthy. Astounding.
My digestion is fantastic. Probably the best it has been in a long time. My energy levels are good too. Although I did get smashed on the bike today, I am confident it was not due to the way I fueled. I think I may have lost a little weight, but I don't ever weigh myself. I just know that my pants are getting a bit looser.

As a food roundup for the last 3 days I will include anything new I have tried but leave out anything I have
already posted, so this is not a true photo food diary, but I'm sure you can use your imagination. Here goes.


Ummmm. This is an apple.



Re-worked Meatloaf with Creamy Brussel Sprouts and Kumara.
I combined the meatloaf from earlier in the week with a few tablespoons of tomato passata. Then I blanched some brussel sprouts and dressed them with mashed avocado, salt and pepper and baked some sweet potato slices in the oven. Delish


I have no doubt that cavemen sat around with good friends and had a wine or two on a Friday evening...



And a really good Chicken Salad with Raspberry Dressing.




I have been on riding, running & swimming rations (what, you haven't heard me whinge about it repeatedly) for 3 weeks now so I have not had to fuel for endurance with paleo eating yet. Today was my first attempt and I think it went quite well. I didn't struggle with any nausea like I sometimes can and I didn't crash (energy-wise, or literally for that matter).

Pre-ride - I usually have toast with almond spread, so I improvised and used banana instead. Its also a medium release of carbohydrates to top up stores from the night before. The almond spread has fats and proteins to help to slow down the gastric emptying and just generally keep the meal well rounded. Sports nutritionists like to use a lot of carb heavy foods pre and during events and not a lot of fibre, fat or protein, but I find my body just doesn't love that. You should always do what works for you.


During ride - I have been using organic fruit packs for a while, so I knew I would digest these just fine and I did. I swapped my Gu electrolyte drink for organic coconut juice and I put a pinch of Himalayan salt in it. The coconut juice is naturally high in magnesium and potassium, but has less sodium that a sports specific drink so the salt helps with that. I have to say the tatse of this is SO much better than any electrolyte drink I have had. I find them too sweet, especially if you have to drink a lot.


Post ride - The trusty blueberry, glutamine, banana, maca, cashew milk (recipe and instructions to come) recovery shake. mmmmmmm.


So how did I find paleo fueling - easy. To be honest I didn't have to change a lot of my normal practices. Depending on the length of your ride it would be more expensive to use coconut juice that a sports powder, but I don't have a problem with that because at this stage we don't ride longer than 2 1/2 hrs.

Wow...If you are still reading then I really do owe you a prize. How about a cashew milk recipe tomorrow - will that do?

Until then, enjoy your life, enjoy your training and enjoy your food. That's what its all about right?

No comments:

Post a Comment