Wednesday 2 May 2012

Paleo Days 1 to 3

In the interest of full discolsure I am going to admit that I just wanted to try out paleo before I declared to the 2 people that read my blog (i'm sure one of them is my mum) that I would do it for 30 days. So this being Thursday, I have completed 3 full days already.

I will give you the pics of the different breakfast, lunches, dinners and snacks I have had over the last few days later in the post but initially I want to talk about how I feel physically.

In a word - awesome. It was definitely a challenge not to run to the freezer and make some toast every afternoon when I was tired and had been up since what feels like the middle of the night, but with a bit of craving control (see previous post) and organisation to have plenty of foods on hand that I can eat, it has really been pretty easy. I feel like its pretty under control now. Using the Carob Kibble Nibbles when I felt like I needed sugar also helped a lot.

I feel like I have more energy and my appetite has decreased a bit. It will be a big test in a few weeks when I return (fingers crossed) to 7 or 8 hours of running, riding and swimming a week to see if  I can cope with the absence of sugar and bread. I am hoping to have fully adapted by then.

So what have I eaten over the past 3 days?

BREAKFASTS


Paleo Banana Berry Smoothie

Serves 1

100mls Coconut milk (see tomorrows post for the one I use that has no additives)
200mls Water
1/2c Blueberries
1/2 Banana
Raw Protein Powder
1/2t Glutamine

Blend ingredients and serve

LUNCHES


Avocado, Tuna and Celery Sushi with Capsicum and Coconut water

Avocado, Tuna and Celery Sushi

Serves 1

1/4 Avocado
1 lge Celery stalked finely chopped
1 sml tin Tuna
Salt & Pepper to season
2 sheets Nori

Combine avocado, celery and tuna and then divide mixture between 2 nori sheets and roll.


Salmon with Garlic Broccoli

Garlic Broccoli

Serves 1

2 cups Broccoli chopped
1 Clove garlic chopped
1t Coconut oil
Salt and pepper to season

Place coconut oil in heated pan and melt. Add broccoli and garlic and cook quickly on high heat. Make sure broccoli is still a bit crunchy, season and serve.




Mediterranean Chicken with Spicy Cabbage, Kale and Pumpkin Fry

Mediterranean Chicken

Serves 4

1 500g jar Tomato Passata
3 cloves Garlic roughly chopped
6 Free range Chicken thighs, skin off

Preheat oven to 175degrees. in a medium baking dish place chicken evenly in dish. Mix passata and chopped garlic together and season with a little salt and pepper. You can also add fresh herbs if you like. Pour tomato mix over chicken, place in the oven and bake for approx 20 minutes or until cooked through.

Spicy Cabbage, Kale and Pumpkin Fry

Serves 1

1/4 sml Purple cabbage finely sliced
100g Pumpkin diced into small cubes
2 stems of Kale chopped
1 clove Garlic
1/2t Cumin
1/2t Coriander seeds
1t Coconut oil

Place coconut oil over medium heat with garlic and spices and cook for 1-2mins. Add pumpkin and stir regularly. When pumpkin begins to soften add cabbage and cook for 2mins then add kale and cook until all vegetables are still slightly crisp. Serve.

SNACKS




Fruit Puree & Almonds + A Coffee & some Medjool Dates


And of course Carob Kibble Nibbles randomly throughout the day.

DINNERS

Roo & Vegetable Casserole - Best thing I have made in AGESSSSSS

Roo & Vegetable Casserole

Serves 2

300g Kangaroo Fillet
2med Carrots chopped
2lge stalks Celery chopped
1 Onion diced
2 cloves Garlic roughly chopped
1T Coconut flour
2t Coconut oil
500mls Organic stock

Place 1tsp coconut oil in hot pan and very quickly seal the meat. You really don't want to over cook it so seal for 2 minutes then put to the side. Reduce pan heat and place last of coconut oil in the pan and add garlic and onion and allow to become translucent. Return meat to pan and add coconut flour. Stir and cook for 1 minute before covering in stock. Allow to gently simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes. Add the vegetables and continue to simmer for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes or until sauce has thickened to desired consistency. Serve.


Sausage with Baked Vegetable Stack and Avocado Tahini Sauce.
This was also uh-mazing.

Sausage with Baked Vegetable Stack and Avocado Tahini Sauce

Serves 1

2 Organic Beef sausages, cooked in a pan
3 slices Sweet Potato cut 1cm thick
1/2 Zuchini cut lengthways into 3 1cm slices
2 stems of Kale chopped

Sauce
1/4 Avocado
1t Tahini
2t Apple Cider Vinegar
Salt & Pepper to season

Preheat the oven to 170C. On a baking tray lined with baking paper place the sweet potato and zucchini and cook in the oven for approx 10 minutes before turning to cook the other side for 10 minutes. Cook your sausages in a pan.
Then to make the sauce you simply mash and combine all ingredients and set aside.
For the last 2 minutes of cooking your vegetables, place the kale on top and return to the oven so that it softens. Then you simply assemble all of your ingredients. I placed the vegies on the bottom, then the sausages, followed by the kale and then the sauce on the top.
Wow...marathon post. You can see why I am loving this way of eating. I really don't feel restricted in any way and I have had plenty of energy for my workouts, which have all been strength training so far. I am hoping to post a photo food diary daily so that it won't be as mega as this one.

Train hard. Enjoy life. Much love x

No comments:

Post a Comment