Thursday 29 December 2011

"Today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten..." Natasha Bedingfield

Let me preface this post with the statement that the only thing I hate as much as diets is 'New Year Resolutions'. I think it is even more crazy that people often make them one in the same, giving you the opportunity to break 2 resolutions by the 4th of January. Why do we put ourselves through it?

The New Year, for me, brings with it a spectacular opportunity for a clean slate. Because, lets be honest, 365 days of unwritten life stories are an awesome opportunity to strive for greatness...and possibly even achieve it some of the time. More than blindly resolving to achieve something, it offers the chance to take stock of your life and reflect on what has happened during the year. It becomes very easy within the daily grind to 'just make it through'. Wishing away the work week for the weekend, starting to eat healthy again tomorrow, then tomorrow, then tomorrow, waiting until you are on holiday or weigh a certain amount to be happy. Its very easy to lose direction regarding the things that really matter to you and to focus on the things that you believe will make you happy. Little mouse, big wheel, very pointless.

So as the new year approaches, I like to sit down and look back, so that I can look forward. I even buy a brand new $2 notebook (I really need to cut down on the extravagance). I break the year up into;
Relationships
Family
Career
Fitness
Health
Misc (travel, money etc. If these are really important to you then of course they can have their own categories)
First I like to just reflect on the year that was. What events happened, what changes occurred? What did I do well and what did I suck at (lots and lots is the answer for that one)? Then I like to think about what I wanted out of the year. What did I aim to achieve...and have I even come close?

Then we come to the New Year bit. For this I like to think of myself on one side of the bridge and visualise what it looks like on the other side of the bridge eg. I think of my relationship as it is now and then I think about what I want from it...and I think 'I would like to spend more time doing quality things together' and now, I have to build the bridge - what are the a few things that I can do to get me to the other side. It looks something like this;

Relationships
Lots of time spent going through the motions, weekends spent doing chores, housework etc. Nights spent watching TV
Want to spend time trying new activities, connecting, laughing
1) Date night once a week, alternating who is responsible
2) Two nights a week no TV

So you get the point. Sometimes there will be more steps needed, sometimes less. They won't always work long term, but its the old saying - insanity is doing the same thing every day and expecting a different result. Avoid insanity where possible!

On a side note, Day 4 of my little hell week was great. I rode 20km on the road then ran 8km...then I hit the wall hard. About 20 minutes after I got home I was so exhausted I went straight to bed and slept for a few hours, then 10 1/2 hrs overnight, then 3hrs the next day. And here I am, fresh as a daisy, ready to smash a spin class and a plyometric workout. It doesn't always have to go to plan...it just has to go.

Tally as of day 4 -
Run - 19.5km
Ride - 90km
Swim - 0km
Note to self: Must swim more

Enjoy the parties kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment