Thursday 15 December 2011

"I wanna get high, so high" The Commodores/Faith No More

Not that kind of high, you crazy kids! High like I was this morning. Running in the crisp summer air, sun rising in the sky, glassy bay lapping at the sand. Divine.

This weeks training has been intense but great. Monday morning 400m sprint sessions (I mean really, what kind of masochist designates 5am Monday for sprint sessions...me), Tuesday morning seated hill climbs on the spin bike, Wednesday morning swim sprints and Thursday morning tempo run. Lots of focus, lots of breathing. Lots of great results.

Having taken it up a notch in training, I have noticed a few things
1. I be huuuungree!
2. My muscles are really feeling it
3. I have been completely bored with my normal foods and so have been experimenting in the kitchen (possibly related, possibly not but without this point I can't tell you about the awesome pasta I made)

So, to make sure that I catered to all 3 changes, I came up with this quick, easy, high protein, delicious dinner recipe. It is full of anti-oxidants to decrease and oxidative damage from all of the lactic acid build up, protein to help my muscles repair and healthy fats to ensure everything is staying nice and un-inflamed.

I used an ingredient called Mung Bean Fettuchini. This is a fantastic high protein, low carbohydrate, gluten free, dairy free pasta option. Great for any of you low-carbers out there or vegans and vegetarians who struggle to get their protein intake high enough. It can be purchased for under $5 a packet at your local health food store and it makes approximately 4 mid size serves.

Creamy Mung Bean Fettuchini
Serves 1

1/2 Avocado
1/4c Sundried Tomatoes
1 large handful of Baby Spinach
1/4 pack Mung Bean Fettuchini
Salt and Pepper to season

Add Fettuchini to a pot of boiling water and boil for approx 5 minutes or until tender. In a bowl use a hand blender to blend together tomatoes and avocado. You can add fresh garlic for a great anti-oxidant, anti-viral, vampire killing kick if you like. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once fettuchini is cooked, drain it and place back in the pot and return to the lowest heat. Add avocado mixture and baby spinach and combine gently over heat until spinach has just begun to wilt. Remove from heat and serve.


So quick, so simple, so delish. Be brave and give the Mung Bean Fettuchini a try! And keep training hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment