Tuesday 16 October 2012

Tomato Avocado Salad and Kona - What a Combo!

The Holy Grail of Triathlon was run over the weekend. Every year I get excited and go on the countdown to Kona - the Ironman of all Ironman. The elite athletes that complete this course in astounding times just about make my head spin. The average people who have full time jobs and kids and have to spend $20K just to get there, as well as the people who are fighting or have fought illness or tend with disability, well, they just make me cry. There is something all inspiring about a human being who has all of the odds against them, staring fear and doubt and impossibility in the face and getting it done anyway. True inspiration.

I managed to get my 5km run time trial done on Thursday. I was right ... it hurt, but on a massive plus side I managed not to go out too fast and completely lose the plot at 3km. I ran 25mins3sec, which is relatively slow, but it's where I'm at and from here I can work accurately on speedwork pacings and well, just getting faster.

I spent the entire weekend working, so got a total of 0 hours training completed. Work life balance ... what is that?

If watching Kona wasn't enough to change your life then never fear, this salad will. This salad was inspired by a great raw chef website, only their version used heirloom tomatoes and required a melon baller and considering that I have worked the last 9 days straight these were things I just didnt have the time or brain power to find, so I mixed it up and made my own version and WOW. My new favourite salad has been found! Don't be put off by the fact that it looks so darn gourmet or that you need to use a food mixer - you could substitute it for a mortar and pestle and this meal can be put together in under 15 minutes. It combines the fresh tastes of tomato with creamy avocado and cheesey parmesan, all whilst being dairy free, raw, high in essential fatty acids, vitamin C, E and B6.

Tomato and Avocado Salad
Serves 1

Salad
1c Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1/4 Avocado, chopped into large chunks
1-2c Mixed salad leaves
Balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

Parmesan
This vegan parmesan cheese

Place cherry tomatoes on serving plate and add a splash of balsamic vinegar. You can use as much or as little as you like, depending on your tastes. Season with a little salt and pepper. Roughly chop the mixed salad leaves and place on serving plate next to tomatoes.

Gently roll the avocado chunks in your parmesan mixture until coated and place on top of tomato. Voila!


I added some lean protein (mini angus burgers) to balance out this meal nutritionally. You could use Chicken or lentils or some grilled fish - whatever takes your fancy.

Until next time...
Train hard, live long and prosper.




No comments:

Post a Comment