Wednesday 3 October 2012

The Art of Procrastination

Day 2. Swimming day. Duh na na na. Dn dn dn dn. In case you couldn't understand that, it was the sound of impending doom.

I had 1 aim and 1 aim only for this day. Get. In. The. Water. The plan was to go straight from work to the pool. But then I finished work and decided that I should really have some breakfast. After I had breakfast I reasoned that I would definitely swim more if I just got a wetsuit and could swim at work. So then I researched and priced wetsuits for 2hrs on the internet. Then I reminded myself that I had to swim today, wetsuit or no wetsuit. And then I thought to myself "Emma, everyone always says, don't affirm poor swimming form, get a few lessons". So then I researched female swim coaches in my area. For about an hour. Why female you say? Well for some reason it feels less intimidating to flail around like a drowning cat in front of a girl than a boy. I blame single sex private education.

So that brought me to 11am ... and it was time to head back to work. Shucks. I did, however, enjoy a delicious lunch at work. This little flavor combo was brought to my attention by a lovely co-worker. It covers off all your macro nutrients - including complex carbohydrates, essential fatty acids and protein. Not to mention zinc, choline, b-vitamins, vitamin E, omega 6 - the list goes on and on. It is easy to cook in bulk on a Sunday and then assemble at work during the week for lunch.

Egg Quinoa Salad

Serves 2

1/4c Quinoa (dry)
1/2tsp Organic vegetable stock
2c Water
1c Baby spinach shredded
1/2 Avocado
4 Boiled Eggs

Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a sieve. Place quinoa, stick and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for approx 10 minutes or until quinoa is soft and cooked through. Drain and set aside. Roughly chop avocado. Peel and roughly chop eggs. Place half of the quinoa on plate and top with baby spinach, 2 eggs, then 1/4 avocado. Season with salt and pepper or fresh chopped spring onions. You can eat this warm or cold.



I mentioned to one of the swimmers at work (who is a swim teacher) that I swim like a cat drowns and she offered to look at my stroke and give me some pointers. Not wanting to scare her off, I didn't point out to her that calling the way I move through the water a 'stroke' was probably going a bit far and agreed to a little swim lesson on Thursday.

After work the water looked Uh-Mazing, but it couldn't fool me, I know its only 13.3 degrees in there. Plus, I had a swim lesson the next day. I needed to get home and rest for crying out loud.

This may look like the most inviting swimming water. It's not. It's freezing.

Though it may appear that my procrastination knows no limits, I have purchased a super cheap wetsuit online and I lined up swim lessons, so eventually, I am confident I will run out of excuses and will just bloody swim ... tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment