Monday 16 January 2012

Todays message is brought to you by...Mother Nature

I often endeavour to try and learn lessons in life by observing the universe and the way that it works. Sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. Last Thursday I got to learn something that I will take with me for all my years to come.

In this day and age of we Gen Y-ers filled, with the 'me me me' genes and the lack of respect for authority, its little wonder we live lives that we believe to be separate and above the universe and its beautiful balance. We have Garmins to give us factual run splits, highly detailed weather forecasts to tell us if we should ride north or south first, sweat-wicking anti-stinking fabrics ... the list goes on and on.

Bear with me here.

One very windy, very rainy run last week that felt like it was uphill with a headwind both ways, I had somewhat of an epiphany. As I was running along the Brighton breakwater, concentrating relatively hard so as not to be blown in to the bay, I noticed something about the water. On one side I had the raging bay, waves crashing, white caps as far as the eye could see. On the other side of the break water it was almost dead still. Barely a swell. As calm as a crystal clear day. It dawned on me. You can't stop life, you can't change what will happen with your friends or your family or if people get sick or if you have a shitty training session, but each of us is given an awesome version of a breakwater - our brains. There, sitting in front of me was a perfect example of what can be done on every tough run, every steep climb, every swim drill. Employ your brain to be the buffer between the chaos that is the pain and the calm that is your body. You just gotta put that breakwater up.

Thanks Mother Nature. Message heard. Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment